RAC logo


Overseas Vehicles

event info

Overseas Vehicles

Overseas vehicles

Importing your vehicle temporarily into the UK for the Run (post-Brexit)

The rules below now apply to all non-UK registered vehicles being temporarily imported into the UK (so this now includes vehicles registered in the EU):

Owners transporting their own cars (usually by trailer!)

All vehicles registered outside the UK will need to be registered as a tourist vehicle, using form C110 on the British Government website.  This is a straightforward online form for vehicles which will be in the UK for six months or less, and you complete it and print out two copies before you travel and take them with you. 

You are required to complete the following information:

  • The name and address and phone number of the person who is importing the car, and email if they have one.
  • Date of the car’s arrival in the UK
  • The UK address where the person will be 
  • Make of vehicle
  • Vehicle registration number
  • Vehicle identification number 
  • Are you a non-UK student or a non UK-resident on an assignment or a work contract (a simple yes/no answer is required)
  • Date when you will re-export the vehicle

When you arrive in the UK one copy must be mailed off to the address you'll find on the form, while the second copy must be kept with the car. Don't forget to complete forms for your tow vehicle as well as for your veteran! On arrival in the UK with your vehicle head through the Nothing to Declare customs channel and show your completed C110 form if asked. When you are leaving the UK again, you simply write the date of departure on your printed copy of the form and post it back to the UK address shown on the form.

Vehicles being transported commercially

If a vehicle is being brought over on a commercial trailer as opposed to being transported on a privately-owned trailer, it is classified as freight, and will require a formal customs entry as well as form C110 – this is something the company managing the transportation for you will arrange.

ULEZ and the Congestion Charge - don't forget to complete Transport for London forms!

The Ultra Low Emission Zone charge (ULEZ) operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. ULEZ was introduced into central London in April 2019. Veteran vehicles registered in the UK, which are exempt from paying Road Tax, are recognized by Transport for London (TfL) as being exempt from the ULEZ tax. Owners of all veteran vehicles registered outside of the UK must register their Run vehicle in advance for exemption from ULEZ. You need to start by setting up a Transport for London (TfL) London Road User Charging account and once you have done this you can register your veteran vehicle for exemption from the ULEZ tax. Full directions can be downloaded here.

The Congestion Charge is a £15 daily charge if you drive within the Congestion Charge zone 07:00-22:00 Monday to Friday and 12:00-18:00 Saturday and Sunday. There is no charge on Christmas Day (25 December). ALL vehicles, regardless of age and whether they are registered in the UK or overseas must pay this charge. You pay this via the Transport for London website (either with a TfL London Road User Charging account or direct payment on the site).

Other info

Driving in the UK 

If you have a full, valid driving licence issued in any overseas country, you can drive in the UK for at least a year. 


You will need to carry an insurance Green Card for the tow vehicle, trailer and the vehicles on your trailer (if they are road registered). And you must also carry trailer and vehicle registration documents.

Do I need an ATA Carnet?

An ATA Carnet permits the tax-free and duty-free temporary export and import of non-­perishable goods for up to one year. Non road registered cars (such as race cars) will require an ATA Carnet when travelling into the UK or Europe.  Road registered vehicles will not require an ATA Carnet, so you will not require one when your bring your vehicle over to use on the Run.

Important: The information given here is current, but we strongly advise owners to check either with the UK Government website or with a specialist vehicle shipper, to make sure that they are working within the very latest restrictions.


A. Lange & Söhne